MongoDB’s path from unlikely NYC enterprise tech startup to global category leader has been amazing to watch.
I’ve had the pleasure of hosting two of MongoDB’s co-founders over the years, first Dwight Merriman back in 2012 (here) and then CTO Eliot Horowitz in 2016 (here). So it was a real treat this time to get to chat with CEO Dev Ittycheria, who has been leading the company since 2014, and it particular has presided over the company’s remarkable ride in public markets since its 2017 IPO.
In addition to being a truly world-class CEO, Dev has had an outsized impact on the New York tech scene, as he’s been playing a central role both at MongoDB and also at Datadog, where he’s been a long time board member (after leading the company’s Series B back in 2014).
We had a wide-ranging conversation where we covered:
- Dev’s journey as a CEO and investor
- The evolution of enterprise tech in New York
- MongoDB’s database as a service offering, Atlas
- Newest products and product roadmap
- Open source
- GTM strategies, bottoms up vs top down
- Lessons in scaling the team
- Being a student of the game rather than a master of the game