Our business lives are full of optimization problems – scheduling, time management, resource planning, pricing, routing, risk management, network optimization, financial engineering, etc. Simply defined, optimization is the science of making the best decision possible, given a set of constraints.
Historically, optimization has been the province of PhDs with deep backgrounds in mathematics, using a generation of software that was developed for academia and large defense contractors.
Enter Nextmv (proncounded “Next Move”), a company in which I’m a proud investor. Nextmv is reinventing the space for the cloud era, making optimization and simulation technologies available to every developer.
It was great to welcome Nextmv’s CEO, Carolyn Mooney, at our most recent Data Driven NYC to talk abotu the space and the company.
- What is decision intelligence, and how does it differ from business intelligence and data science?
- What is the overlap with the area known as “operations research”?
- How decision intelligence is broadly horizontal area
- How Nextmv is democratizing decision intelligence with its cloud product
- Bonus: Nextmv’s policy of radical transparency on team compensation
Below is the video and full transcript.Continue reading “In Conversation with Carolyn Mooney, CEO, Nextmv”